Start Reading Elan's Story Here

1. A Dream Come True

I tell this story not because it's over but because my goals and dreams when I left home are fulfilled. It was not an easy road … to hig...

Sunday 18 June 2017

2. Temptations

So my husband left me to go take care of business. I am surprised that he left my side at this moment - especially with his sworn enemy in the room. Normally, Al is like a faithful pet. Whenever I am sick he is all I need. He will do the hospital rounds with me, ensure I take my medication and all that. The business has always been my headache, not his. He comes along to work more to be with me than because of a love for the hustle. In his perspective, 'a man's gotta do what a man gotta do' how I hate that phrase because to him it means he comes to work to maintain the peace! I suppose, like most young men his age, his preference would have been to continue with his football career. Probably be a football coach. For me, business is a lifeline, entrepreneurship my raison d'être. I love the difference each business makes and the jobs created. it started with me being the only employee now we have over 3000 staff and we are creating more jobs ...




Al arrives at Elan group offices still in his casual attire from the hospital. The office premises is as exceptional, as the woman behind its ideas and execution. It is spacious with large windows and exquisite décor. It holds two companies Elan Talent Management and Elan Marketing and Production. As he goes to Elan's office he greets the receptionist Olu and Marketing Manager Gina who were talking at the reception but immediately stop when they see him. They both greet him.

Gina goes 'Good Morning Sir' and Olu, 'Congratulations Sir!'. It is easy to see which greeting resonates with him most as he beams at Olu. One reason Olu is a favourite in the organisation is this, tact. For a marketing genius, Gina doesn't seem to be able to pick even the right greeting for such a beautiful day - the day he became a father!

Al, in his usual flamboyant, all so confident style replies smiling at Olu 'Morning, Thank you Olu. Gina, have you notified the managers of the meeting?'

'Yes Sir, last night when you called. Head office team are ready, we are waiting for Mr Bonington of Travel and Nelisa from Fashion and Beauty, they are flying in from Abuja and should be here in about an hour.'

Satisfied with the reply, Al waves Gina away while gesturing for Olu to follow.

'Great! Make them comfortable when they arrive.' He again gestures for Olu to follow. However, Olu doesn't notice as she is still distracted, wanting to hear more of what Gina has to say on whatever they were discussing before. He normally wouldn't be bothered, unlike Madam who has a radar on everything.

Al,  'Olu - OLU!'

Olu quickly stands up, preps herself, and picks a file to follow. 'Yes Sir, Coming sir!'

Elan’s office is comfortable and exquisitely furnished. A sizeable expansive and expensive work station on one end and sofas on the other. Display cabinets grace one end of the wall with various products the company has worked on and entrepreneurial trophies won. A neat whiteboard with mind maps is soldered on the other wall. Through the large windows, one can see a beautiful view of Lagos without the noise from the street below due to sound and bulletproof windows. A TV screen shows four channels; ads of the work the company has done, gossip, fashion and a news channel. Al is now sitting at Elan’s desk, busy on her computer. Olu comes in ready to take instruction

'I’m here Sir.' she announces, a little flushed.

'Do you have the schedule for Elan’s appointments?'

Olu, 'Not quite. The complete schedule is on her tablet and with Dela, I only keep the meetings she holds if they are to be held in the office. But I have access to Dela’s computer if you need any info -'

'Great! Just share all her scheduled meeting on my calendar.... will have a look at them after the meeting and let you know which ones to cancel or reschedule...I will be taking over her schedule.'

Olu, 'Yes sir, anything else?'

Al, 'I cannot find her tablet, where is it?'

'That’s with Dela. She keeps any important thing Madam leaves behind.'

Al, 'Hmmm! OK, that will be all - for now.'

Halfway to the door, Olu turns 'Will you be using your office or should I bring your coffee dispenser here?'

Al, 'I will be here.'

'OK sir' she leaves and shuts the door just as Elan's call comes in. She is obviously already missing work.

'Hey darling, you about to start the meeting?'

Al smiles as he was just about to call her. 'Hey, babe not quite - waiting for Boni and Nelly, they flew in this morning.'

'Okay, you got there really fast no traffic??'

Al, 'It was early besides, you know your driver. He has a traffic sensor in his antenna - knows his routes'

Elan, 'True. Well, I just wanted to remind you to come with my tablet.' She obviously has no real reason for calling her husband.

Al, 'I believe it is with Dela?'

Elan, 'She is already on her way there. I told her to give it to you after syncing

Al, 'I got you - Should be done by three - will be there to pick you' Al assures her.

'Thanks, dear, you are the absolute finest!' replies Elan.

Al is now distracted by the door opening. Gina seductively saunters in. Her blouse is tight, slightly opened and acting all sassy. Al stares

Elan, 'Al you there?'

Gina suggestively tells Al, 'We are ready for you.'

Al, 'Yes, yes' he cups his phone and straight-faced talks to Gina, 'Will be with you shortly'

Back on phone, he excuses himself,  'Hey darling gotta go now they are waiting -'

Gina sneers as she leaves the room

Elan, 'Hmm! well, enjoy being CEO for the month! Love ya!'

Al, 'Love you need to rest, will be with you shortly ... is Zan still there?'

Elan, 'Both Leila and Zan are here - all’s well.'

Al can't help his contempt for the man. 'That guy! -'

He hangs up and his attention shifts to the meeting.



Past 7 days